The banana plant is one of those beings on this planet that be can regarded as man’s best friend (along with coconut trees and dogs, for instance). Literally no part of the plant goes unused.
The flowers are used in making juices (helpful in case of painful menstruation) and sometimes used in concoctions made for Asthma patients.
The leaves are used in Ayurveda for wrapping wounds; they are also used to treat stomach disorders. One of the prominent utilities of the banana leaf is that people in South India use it as a plate and the food is served on it.
The fruit, needless to mention, is healthy, tasty and filling and is available in all the seasons in tropical regions. The raw ones are used as a vegetable.
In this post, we write about the stem of the banana plant.
Most of you may not know that the stem is edible. It is so rich in fiber, you can feel it in your mouth. It is crunchy and starchy. Being rich in potassium and vitamin B6, consuming it will benefit diabetes patients as it helps in the production of insulin. Juice made of banana stem helps people who want to lose their weight. It has cooling properties and so, it prevents and controls hyperacidity. Banana stem is also known to increase the production of hemoglobin and prevent kidney stones.
These are just some of the known benefits of consuming banana stem.
Now, let’s jump into making the salad!
– Chopped banana stem – 2 cups
– Grated carrots – 1 cup
– Green chilies – depending on your taste needs
– Cilantro for garnishing
– Lemon juice – depending on your taste needs
– Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
– Bengal gram – 1tsp
– Urad dal – 1 tsp
– Cooking oil – 1 tbsp
– A pinch of turmeric
– Salt – depending on your taste needs
– Heat cooking oil in a pan and add to it mustard seeds, turmeric, bengal gram and urad dal. Remove the heat when the mustard splutters and when urad dal and Bengal gram turns golden brown. Add chopped green chilies immediately. Set it aside. This is oggarane/tadka.
– Put together the chopped stem and the grated carrots in a bowl.
– Add tadka/oggarane. Sprinkle salt. Mix the ingredients well with a large spatula.
– Garnish the salad with lemon juice and coriander leaves.
The hardest part of this recipe is removing the layers off the banana stem. It can be quite a tedious task.
Many people refrain from using the stem regularly because of this reason. But looking at all the good it can do to you, we recommend you not to give in to your laziness and make use of this special gift from nature every now and then.